Friday, June 28, 2013

Man of Steel



Should you go watch it?

Yes. Visually is a must-see in the big screen.


Spoiler free review.

OK, here's the weird part; I'm the only one I know that hates this movie and I still think you should see it. Three reasons:
1) Everybody else likes it (even comic book readers)
2) This movie being a success means we get Justice League.
3) The fight scenes are amazing and must be seen in the big screen.

About me hating it: let me start by saying I started reading comics because of Superman. Actually I started READING because of Superman. I had this one Superman comic my mom wouldn't read to me but "teach me to read instead if I wanted to know". So I knew how to read a year before I was supposed to.

For a while, it was my favorite superhero until I was older and moved on to Batman, then Spider-Man, X-Men and Punisher. I did come back to reading it when he was killed and there were 4 Supermen and stuff.

Back to the movie: the acting is good, it looks great but I hated the script. It is obviously not a fateful Superman representation (if that makes sense with all the versions in the comics) but I didn't even like it as a non-Superman movie.

There are many things I hate (which I will list in the Spoilerish section) but mainly it's the fact that it's not even a dark version of Superman: it's a grim one! I would've rather seen a dark version of Superman than this emo-one.


Spoilerish review.

Lot's of bad things with it in my mind. Only read if you have seen the movie. Show/Hide the rest of the spoilerish review
1) General Zod kind of hates Superman from the beginning just because.
2) The conflict in Krypton and the way everybody behaves there makes no sense.
3) Kal-el's idea of a "solution" seems to be... "let's just save my kid". Who's going to side with him?
4) A lot of scenes stolen from a lot of other movies (even avatar).
5) Clark is sad because he has powers. He even looks sad in the ocean after saving a lot of lives and just keeps sinking with emo expression.
6) Johnatan Kent tells Clark to maybe kill kids just so nobody else finds out he has powers... REALLY?!
7) BIG SPOILER: the same don't-care-about-other-kids-dancer-with-wolves commits suicide just so nobody finds out his son is powerful.
8) The previous point could have been avoided by letting his mighty son go back instead of him. This wouldn't even have exposed Clark's powers.
9) Superman should have saved his dad even if the stupid man didn't want to.
10) Louis Lane is blond and forced to exist without a good story line.
11) Clark having powers is easy for Louis to find out.
12) Zod declares war on earth unless they deliver the God among them.
13) Emo Superman gives himself to America's government.
14) Louis acts like Megan Fox in Transformers by being with the army without a good reason. Againg: Louis forced into the story.
15) The fights are visually amazing but Superman seems to not care about people anymore since he destroys tons of buildings himself.
16) BIG SPOILER: He doesn't care about killing the hope for his entire remaining specie . Allegedly not to kill earth in the process but he never stops to think about alternatives and/or negotiate with Zod.
17) BIG SPOILER: After killing a lot of humans and his entire specie, he "has" to kill Zod and he feels bad about that... about killing the bad guy? why do you care? what about killing your species?!!!
18) The previous event was forced. He didn't really have to kill Zod. He could have just flown with him.

I have more but I'm guessing nobody is reading this post at this point.  So: I hate the movie and think everybody should watch it. I'm even going to watch it a second time I guess. But not because of the story, IN SPITE OF IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment